Thursday, February 11, 2010

Any renovation/small space experts?

I have a problem. (Besides being fairly-moderately nutty.) It's my kitchen. It sucks.

Yes, I know you've heard people say this. You've heard them say that they have the *tiniest*kitchens*in*the*world. But here's the thing... I actually do!

Yep. That's it. In all of its approximate 8x7 glory. I know you're jealous, right?

A year or two ago, we busted out the soffets above the cabinets to squeeze out a bit more storage space. Whenever we get new ones, I'd like for them to go all of the way to the ceiling. For as small of a space that we have, we do pretty well on cabinets/storage. My issues are no countertop space and *gasp* no dishwasher.


So seriously, if someone would help a sister out to solve these two problems, I'd be forever in your debt.



I'm landlocked and budget locked on expansion (it's wedged between the living room, dining room, and stairs to the basement with no extra room in those spaces available). So with this layout, how would you rearrange things to fit in a dishwasher and squeeze out a little more counter space? Am I missing any floor plan options?

For example, do you think if I moved the doorway to the basement to the dining room, opening up that wall for use, that I could move the fridge over there and slide down the oven, leaving room for a dishwasher to open/close?

9 comments:

  1. I had a similar issue before we renovated. I actually went to Rona (home building store like Home Depot) and they designed a kitchen floor plan for us including the things I really needed to have in a kitchen....including a dishwasher b/c I didn't have one either. It was free of charge and they we so great we purchased our countertop from them and other odds and ends. GL to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if you put the dishwasher under where the toast was and put a new cabinet under part of the counter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That really IS a small kitchen. I like your layout change, but I'm no expert :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Lindsey. Couldn't you remove a cabinet under the toaster counter (you said you were good on cabinet space, no?) and put the dishwasher in the place of the cabinet. They usually are pretty spot on size-wise and this can easily be done as your sink is not far away to hook up water drainage and such. As far as the counter space, maybe a "buffet" that has a cutting board surface or something in your dining room?

    ReplyDelete
  5. MSC, you should check out younghouselove.com. Their kitchen layout is VERY similar to yours and it looks glorious! There is a tab on the website called 'our home' or something similar to that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh holy crap, their kitchen is very similar to ours! It's a wee bit bigger, but very similar. Thanks for sharing, this actually helped a ton!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am no expert, but if you should check out Layla's blog (www.theletteredcottage.net). She's done a ton of renovations in her home & has awesome ideas, plus she will redesign your room for you & give you ideas (you have to pay, but i don't think it is terribly expensive). Anyways, good luck! I really hope you can fit a dishwasher in your space, because that is no fun washing EVERY dish by hand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may or may not know that Martin, one of the Hadrians Walkers, became a Dad for the first time yesterday. This is especially good news as he and his wife have been battling with infertility for over three years.

    A while ago, before Martin's (xbox4nappyrash) wife got pregnant I promised I would post a youtube video of me singing "Yes" by Mcalomont & Butler whilst accompanying myself on the ukulele to celebrate the birth of their child.

    This will not be a pretty sight as I can neither sing, nor really play the ukulele (this isn't false modesty - I really can't).

    However what I thought might make it really cool would be instead of just a straight video I put together a montage of videos shot by readers of his blog and fellow walkers all celebrating - i.e. dancing, sticking thumbs up, cheering, holding up signs, that sort of thing. It would have to be something that would work without sound as I would put my (awful) soundtrack over the top of it.

    It would be great if you could participate. If you send me a short 5-15 second video clip (or at a push a photo, but a video would be much better) along with your name and blog then I'll put it together with other submissions and get something ready for the end of the week. I think it would be a really nice thing to do for martin to show him and E how pleased we are for him. and Martin has been incredibly supportive of me and my various projects in the past.

    However I realise this isn't the sort of thing a lot of people are comfortable with and so would understand completely if you don't want to do it.

    Thanks for taking the time to read this.

    Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dan, where would I send the photo/video to?

    ReplyDelete