I have to admit it, I had a total.fucking.meltdown Sunday morning. I wasn't really thinking about Mother's Day being a weird day for me since I'm not a big holiday celebrator, but I slept in and DH started giving me a little crap about being late to my mom's and in my head I was just like... MY FUCKING MOTHER'S DAY, TOO DAMMIT! Just because I didn't get to change any diapers doesn't mean I didn't push a baby out of my vagina and quite frankly, make some parental decisions no parent should ever have to make.
I got in the shower and just started uncontrollably sobbing. I just couldn't stop thinking about how Mother's Day is an entire day dedicated to moms of babies who lived--and how I wasn't one of them. And remember the day that I became a member of the "other" category.
And then I cried more getting dressed... and drying my hair... And finally just marched out of the bathroom, red faced and tearful (scaring the crap out of my husband in the process) and told him that I was sad and needed a hug. He said he felt awful, he hadn't even thought of how I'd feel on Mother's Day and that he felt like a jerk. I didn't expect flowers or a card, but I did sort of expect for him to at least SAY something to me to acknowledge the day--I mean, after all I have been pregnant for the past two Mother's Days.
And I cried a little more driving to my mom's... and then again at my mom's. Ugh. I was a mess, but eventually pulled it together after my sister looked at me with great sympathy and said, "You okay? You want some cheese? Maybe a sooooda?" which made me laugh. And I did enjoy a mini Baybel cheese and a coke and I felt a little better.
But I guess that's all part of the grieving process, but dammit-- sometimes it hits me out of nowhere.
Oh MSC...I'm so sorry you had a rough day. I can understand what you mean about the whole "living baby" thing on Mother's Day. I found that there is a holiday for the rest of us :) International Babylost Mother's Day:
ReplyDeletehttp://internationalbabylostmothersday.blogspot.com/
This year it was May 2nd, I'm not sure if it is that day every year, or the first Sunday in May. Too bad this isn't publicized more...
I'm so sorry the day hit you so hard. You made me tear up just reading about it! :)
ReplyDeleteI cried, I laughed. You have a way with words. ((Hugs))
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you had a rough day, you are such a strong, amazing person. Your baby is going to have one fantastic Mom.
ReplyDeleteI can definitely relate to the whole "other category." I've never questioned the meaning of Mother's day until this year. Sometimes my mind just wonders and like you, these things hit me from out of nowhere. Big hugs to you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry!! Happy Mother's Day to you - you are a wonderful mother!
ReplyDeleteYou already are one amazing Mom :) Sorry the day was rough for you.
ReplyDelete