Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The things we tell ourselves

I've noticed that for the past few months, I keep telling myself that because of what I've been through that I'm going to be rewarded in some manner--like I'm going to have more normal cycles (so far I've had one 33 day cycle--the shortest that I've ever had in my life), I'm going to get pregnant easily and when I want to (no, we're not trying yet), and that everything is going to go smoothly.

See? I'm a positive person. I've always believed that good things happen around us every single day and while we all have to endure pain, we don't have to suffer. (Thanks dad for that gem!)

This past weekend I was chatting with my aunt and she began to speak passionately about the role that the laws of attraction play in her life. I never put much faith in this belief system, but now it irritates me to no end and I found myself unable to even engage in a discussion on the topic.

Yes, it is a good thing to focus on the positive.
Yes, it is a good thing to remove yourself from toxic situations, people and thoughts.
Yes, it is a good thing to say what you want, ask for help from others, and work towards what you want.

But do I honestly believe that the universe will respond to my desires or pull negativity toward me? Oh hell-to-the-no. And quite honestly, to believe otherwise is only the illusion of control--not control itself.

I was confident that my baby was a good egg. I was having a wonderful, symptom-free pregnancy and was sure that things would go smoothly, I'd have a great birth, and I wouldn't obsess over every little thing. I cruised through What to Expect When You're Expecting without a care in the world, understanding risks but without a single thought that something could go wrong. I knew that if I did what I was supposed to do and took care of myself, things would turn out okay.

But you know what I've learned? We don't get to control shit. And just because this happened to me once and I feel that I'm owed a perfect pregnancy again, I know that it's not up to me. When we try again, I'm going to be right in line with everyone else, spinning the wheel and hoping that this time we get a winner. And when you don't know what it's like to pick the winner and all you know is an unhappy ending, it's hard to imagine otherwise.

I mean, so far 100% of my pregnancies ended in death. While that may seem a tad overdramatic to some, it is indeed all that I know at this very moment. Hopefully that will be turned around at some point, but right now that's where I am and I've realized that it's completely out of my hands if/when I will be on the other side of this.

So that's it, universe. I give up. I know that I have no control over the how's/when's/why's in life.

I'm not saying this to be morbid or to say that I honestly believe that this will happen again. I'm just saying that I have a clear understanding that this is completely out of my hands.

I've been told by a handful of my friends that they think I'm brave, strong, etc. But really? Right now I'm just playing the cards I'm dealt--and it's not like I had a choice. My heart (while broken) kept beating. So that's what I do every day--I show up because I didn't die.

I think bravery is actually found in facing these odds and spinning the wheel anyway. While I'm not there yet, I know I'll be there someday.

Then I will make the rounds to collect your compliments. ;-)

5 comments:

  1. THANK YOU!

    I'm so tired of people telling me I "have to think positive" when I say something like "I hope I get pregnant again" or "I hope we have children one day." How am I supposed to only think of the happy outcomes when I know full well the alternatives, in all their sucky, break-your-heart glory? I'm as a big a control freak as they come, but not even I'm deluded enough to believe that I can will a healthy pregnancy through positive thinking.

    I'm not okay with the lack of control yet, but I think it'll be better for me to accept it than to fight it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very insightful post, I liked it. And I think you're right- you can do everything "perfect" in life and things can still go to hell in a handbasket. I guess at the end of the day, you hope you have the strength to get up and try it again.

    I believe you have the strength to get up and spin the wheel again and when that day comes, you'll see me there- cheering my butt off for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you 100%. I know it is no where near the same thing, but dealing with IF issues this past year I learned to give up some control. I am a type A person that wants to plan everything.

    When it comes to this baby making process, you can do your best to make sure that the stars and the moon aline, but in the end you cannot control the outcomes and what happens. I think that is one of the single hardest lessons to learn in life. Do all you can to be as positive as possible, but bad things still happen to good people. Bad people sometimes get the things that good people want. It is not fair, but it is life.

    For what it is worth, I do think you have been brave and strong. Something this heart breaking could have kept you down for the count. You keep getting up and dusting yourself off. For that, I am very, very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gawd, I love your attitude. I can't begin to compare my IF issues to what you're going through, but I try to remind myself that the percentages have to be in my favor at some point. When so many things have gone wrong, something has to go right eventually? I hope?

    I like that you're facing the future with eyes wide open, but I also have to think that you've already drawn the crappy percentage. Next time they'll be in your favor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah. Me too.

    Not much of a helpful comment, but, well. Yeah. Me too.

    It's a hard thing to face, and moreso, to face it knowing exactly what the other side looks like. To see it clearly, to know intimately how it feels . . . and to say, well, fuck it, I guess I'll try anyway.

    Cheers and crossed fingers for both of us on the next rollercoaster ride.

    ReplyDelete