Thursday, August 27, 2009

So yesterday really happened, didn't it?

I awoke a few times during the night last night, shifted around, and reminded myself of what happened. And surprisingly, I actually made it to close to 6 a.m. before I just started bawling.

Yesterday really happened. This is what it feels like when you're told that your baby absolutely is going to die after you've carried it for five months. This is what it feels like to know you have to deliver a dead (or dying) baby. This is grief.

Huh. Never really been there before.

To tell you the honest truth, I lead a pretty charmed life. My family's in reasonable health and I haven't lost anyone really close to me before. I guess I just never thought it would be my child. How's that for irony? Wait. Is that actually "irony?" *sigh* I can't think.

You know it's funny. When I saw my sisters yesterday, I think they were both hoping that when they heard the full story that they'd see a glimmer or hope or that I'd just been a drama queen when I talked to them earlier on the phone. And believe me, I wish I was too. But that's it. It's the end of the road. What the fuck?!?!

I'm terrified of delivering this baby and what's to follow. Right now it's a death sentence, but no one is dead. In fact, I can still feel this little person wiggling around in my belly as if it's a little Who down in Whoville saying, "We are here! We are here! We are here!"

But it isn't really there. Not to stay.

I understand it's a numbers game. I understand that I pulled the unlucky number. And it had to be 1/6000 pregnancies that this happens to, it happened to me and my DH who can handle it. We will grieve, but it will get better.

It's funny that what started out as my original blog title has become more true than ever. The story behind it is sorta long, but I'll share it anyway.

My dad is an odd sort of bird who always says these philosophical things to people who never get it. We have this video of Christmas 1989 where me and all of my little cousins are tearing through our gifts and after they're all passed out my little cousin (who is about 6 at the time) asks my dad, "What's left?" To which my dad replies simply, "What's left? What's left you ask? There's life!"

When we saw this on video many years later we laughed so hard. Here's my dad trying to explain the end of the presents in a philosophical way to a child. Hilarious. Soooo dad.

So what's left you ask?

There's life, my dears. And yes, it will continue.

xoxo,
MSC

18 comments:

  1. I sent you an email, too. Fuuucccckk. I am so shocked and saddened for you. I want to tell you everything will be alright and hell, some day it WILL be alright but today? Not so much. I really am so very sorry. So sorry. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an incredibly strong and inspirational woman. My thoughts and prayers are with your family as you go down the road that no one ever wants to go down. I pray you guys can stay strong through this ordeal. It sounds like you have a great family to support you and you know you have an awesome support system on GP waiting for you at all times. (((hugs))) from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MSC I am thinking about you. xox
    p.s. I love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know we've already talked but I will say it here again. Proud (but not at all surprised) of your strength.

    Hugs again. And hats off to you.

    CathyMD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not stopped thinking about you and your DH since you shared your news yesterday. I wish you the strength of an army and the peace of a montessori.
    M.Monkey

    ReplyDelete
  6. MSC, I'm sorry to hear of this devastating news. I'll be praying for you and your family during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so, so sorry. I will be praying for and thinking of you, your DH and your baby. I hate that you have to go through this horrible thing and all the grief and immense heartache that goes along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a strong woman and an inspiration. This is a very sad and hard situation and you are dealing with it in a great way. I will have you in my thoughts and prayers.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an amazingly strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no no no MSC. I am so so sorry. My heart is breaking for you. I wish there was something we could say or do to make you feel even a billionith of a percent better but I know there isn't. Just know there are a lot of women who are thinking of you and praying for you.

    mrs.gardner

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sooooooo sorry. I have no idea what to say other than that (and apologize for my other comment). You have been through so much and you do not deserve this. I am praying for your family. I want to do something to help you, so if there is absolutely anything to be done let me know. Just know that I am hurting for you and with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am just getting caught up on your news now. I want to say how sorry I am that you are going through this. At the same time, I think you have an amazing attitude and your strength is amazing. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry. You are amazing and strong and definitely an inspiration to all of us. I'm praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my god, I am so sorry. There are no words I can say to make you hurt any less, but you and your husband will be in my thoughts. I am so sorry.
    -floridakat

    ReplyDelete
  15. You don't "know" me, but I'm on GP a lot. I am so sorry for your situation. You and your DH are in my thoughts and prayers. May God be with you and guide you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We love you girl and you are in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You strength is awe inspiring. You are in my thoughts and prayers throughtout this time!

    ReplyDelete