So in all of the pregnancy books they recommend that you start singing and talking to your baby. Well, considering how much I flap my gums all day, she certainly hears enough of me talking--but the singing? It didn't come so naturally.
I normally listen to Howard Stern during my daily commute and we don't listen to a whole lot of music at home, so this has required a conscious effort. But when I thought about the stories of my dad singing Stevie Wonder's "Isn't she lovely" to my older sister when she was a baby, my heart melted all over again and it had me wanting to have the same stories to tell my own child.
So we started out (as expected) with a short, but sweet Beatles tune that just happened to pop into my head one day... I've even found myself humming it in the shower!
And then we expanded our horizons (and come to think of it, dark discussion of alcoholism) with a little Lady Gaga:
Dude--I finally got my copy of the Fame Monster, so you can't really blame me for having this stuck in my head, right? This song is aaaahhhmazing, even if it's not really warm and fuzzy appropriate for a baby! ;-)
Okay, so I guess it's time to get back to baby-appropriate tunes. This week I decided to lighten things it up with a little Buble... Sure, it's about romantic love but I know a lot of people who have found a connection with love for their future children. And hello? It's catchy as hell!
Lastly, this is not really a song I sing to Lil, but I kid you not--my baby loves when I play this freaking song. Every time it's on, she starts jumping around like mad. She's going to LOOOOVE it when we go to see Lady Gaga live this summer! :-)
So that's my Mommy Playlist as it stands now, recorded for posterity!
Love your song list! It is kind of awkward to sing to your belly, I thought so too! But now that my babies are here, I sing all day like a fool! I have a song for everything, most of them make no sense!
ReplyDeleteI've followed your blog for quite sometime now and I'm not sure if I've delurked myself before. Of all the touching posts you've had in which I've cried or laughed with you, this is the one I feel compelled enough to write a comment on... go figure! ;o) Music was my nerve pill when I was prego and in the end when my nerves were as racked as they could be, I was seeking out anything to calm me down. For some reason listening to pot music did the trick. Dax loved it! He'd go crazy with movement - almost in a rhythm as incredible as that sounds. The song... Cypress Hill: I Love You Mary Jane! I pray I didn't turn my child into a pot head. ;o) So, your songs are looking pretty good. I never sang to Dax, but I talk SO much that he was turning his head to my voice when he was only 2 days old. So if singing feels awkward, skip and just read aloud - or converse away like usual. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteThanks for delurking, Lady! I'll be sure to keep you posted on the other random songs that she takes a liking to! :-)
ReplyDeleteOh, music was my nerve pill too.....
ReplyDeleteMSC, would you mind getting in touch? I thought I had your email but I don't.... thanks. sweetsaltykate(at) gmail.com.
xo Kate
Hey MSC its SnowflakeBride06, I love your play list. I love that your dad sang to your sister, how precious. I just wanted to say how happy I am for you. You have inspired me to creat a play list! BTW I LOVE Lady Gaga!
ReplyDelete